Skip to main content

AUTHOR INTERVIEW #A COLD COLD WORLD #ELENA TAYLOR #MYSTERY POLICE PROCEDURE #BOOK TOUR PARTNER IN CRIME TOURS

 

                                     AUTHOR INTERVIEW 

                                  A COLD, COLD WORLD

by Elena Taylor




1. You began your career in theater as a playwright, director, designer, and educator

before transitioning to fiction writing. What prompted this shift, and how does

your theater background influence your approach to storytelling in your novels?

ANSWER: Great question. I had always wanted to write a novel and started working on my first one around 2007. I got a draft done and worked with a freelance developmental editor, but all that showed me was how much I didn’t know about writing a book. I continued learning the craft and writing unpublished manuscripts, until I got a book deal. Once that happened, I realized how much I liked not having to be at rehearsals on nights and weekends, and while I miss the theater, I love writing novels even more. That experience, however, taught me how to write dialogue and understand dramatic structure. It taught me how to end a scene with something to keep an audience in their seat or prompt a reader to turn the page. It also means that I’m not married to my words. Working in the theater as a playwright, I collaborated with actors, directors, and designers to put a script on its feet. Working with my agent and editors is easy for me, because I don’t grip onto any scene or sentences too tightly. I’m happy to do rewrites and take feedback on cutting or making changes, for me it’s part of the process. 


2. Your first series, the Eddie Shoes Mysteries, features a quirky mother/daughter

crime-fighting duo. Can you tell us about the inspiration behind these characters

and what drew you to write mysteries with a familial dynamic?


ANSWER: One of the first mystery series I fell in love with was Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone books. I wanted to follow in her footsteps and write about a private eye. I also loved the Rockford Files as a kid and decided to take the relationship between James Rockford and his dad Rocky and flip it around to mother and daughter. I like to say that if Kinsey Millhone and Jim Rockford had a love child, it would be Eddie Shoes.


3. The Bet Rivers Mysteries introduce readers to Collier, Washington, a setting

described as dark and mysterious. How did you develop the idea for this series

and what role does the setting play in shaping the atmosphere of your novels?


ANSWER: Living in Washington State, I have visited a lot of dark and mysterious places. We have over 22 million acres of forest here, and combined with the rugged cliffs and tall mountains, much of it is inaccessible to any but the most adventurous of souls. That kind of environment inspires isolated, rural communities and makes it easier to deal with how technology impacts contemporary mysteries. I don’t have to work too hard for cell phones to stop working, roads to get blocked, and emergency services to be difficult to access. That creates more obstacles for my characters to overcome. The idea for the series started when I lived near a dark lake, which at the time was rumored to have a train engine at the bottom, too deep to be seen from the surface. I started thinking about what the story might be for that engine, which brought my fictional town to life—centered on a lake so deep, the bottom disappears into the dark.


4. Your protagonist in the Bet Rivers Mysteries is a newly appointed sheriff. What

challenges and opportunities did you encounter in developing this character, and

how does she differ from characters in your previous series?


ANSWER: Writing a sheriff caused me to learn even more about police procedures. While I do a lot of research writing my Eddie Shoes books, Eddie doesn’t have to follow the rules that the police do. My sheriff, however, does. I wanted to get the basics of criminal investigation, police protocols, and challenges as accurate as I could, while still telling a dynamic story. Bet Rivers also has an entire town depending on her, whereas Eddie only has her clients to look out for. That made Bet Rivers a more serious character, with greater responsibilities on her shoulders. I really enjoy that both characters have had to learn to depend on other people, something I struggle with myself. Maybe someday Eddie, Bet, and I will all get better at that!


5. Schweitzer, the Anatolian Shepherd, is a prominent sidekick in your novels. What

inspired you to include this particular breed of dog, and how does Schweitzer

contribute to the narrative and your protagonist journey?


ANSWER: I love Anatolian shepherds. They are fiercely loyal, smart, and terrific working dogs. The San Diego Zoo uses them to bond with cheetahs to help those animals deal better with captivity. I can’t say enough good things about Anatolians. I felt that Bet needed a dog that fit her station, tough, capable, and able to help out with her investigations. Much as I love my fat little twenty-pound Shichon, I’m not going to send him out in the woods to help me track a criminal. He’s far too likely to get eaten by something bigger than him. Schweitzer was also Bet’s father’s dog, so while she knew him before her father died, she wasn’t his person. I loved exploring how it takes time for dogs to embrace another person if they lose the one they love. The relationship between a person and their dog can be incredible and shouldn’t be taken for granted. Bet had to earn Schweitzer’s trust. 


6. As a senior editor with Allegory Editing, you work closely with writers to shape

and polish their manuscripts. How has your editorial work influenced your own

writing process, and vice versa?


ANSWER: I always learning something new when I work with writers. I see errors in other people’s work much easier than I see them in my own, so it’s useful for me to work with a client’s manuscript, then go back to my own looking for the same issues. Teaching something also forces us to constantly update our knowledge base. I learn about craft every single time I teach an aspect of it, because I’ve had to figure out how to explain it to another person. I also keep up with current trends in the industry for my clients, which helps me as well. Being a writer myself, I understand how hard it is to hand over drafts to another person. It’s a gift to have a writer willing to be that vulnerable and trust me with their project. I am also able to separate myself from their story. I want to help writers write their best book not write the book I would write. I can leave that for my own projects.


7. You live on a property called Paradise with your husband and a variety of animals.

How does your connection to nature and animals inspire your writing, particularly

in creating the settings and relationships in your novels?


ANSWER: When we moved out here to the Palouse (a geographic area that starts south of Spokane, Washington, and spreads out for more than 18,000 square miles), I thought a lot about what to call our place and kept coming back to this is paradise. The name stuck. Our environment is cold in the winter, hot in the summer, bright in the fall, alive in the spring. I love the four seasons and how that impacts our lives. My books are invested with how the environment changes with the time of year, and how that can impede things for my characters. Living with animals is one of the greatest joys of my life. Between the horses, dogs, and cats, I can’t get stuck in my own head too long. It gets me up from my computer to feed, clean up after, and work with them. They bring me tremendous joy, whether it’s a successful ride on one of the horses or sharing the sofa with both dogs while I’m reading a book. The cats are a little more independent, but they come hang out as well. I’m never lonely when I have the animals around. I love to invest my work with animals. Bringing horses into my books is a lot of fun, because we don’t see that as often. Cats and dogs inhabit a lot of fictional worlds, but we see horses a lot less, so I like the uniqueness of that. Animals humanize us and showing the connections we can build with them brings me a lot of pleasure. All my characters need someone in their life, even if it’s a four-legged someone.


8. Can you share any advice for aspiring writers looking to balance their creative

pursuits with other professional commitments, such as editing or teaching?


ANSWER: The first is to remember that it’s not publish or perish, no matter what the academics say. The only person who cares if your book gets published is you. It’s not your entire world. It’s not your identity. Live a good life while you write, because getting published isn’t going to solve your financial problems, your self-esteem, or your personal relationships. Suffering doesn’t make you an artist, working hard and learning craft does. Make sure that you continue to do the things that keep you healthy and happy: physical activity, eating right, getting enough sleep, having hobbies and passions outside of writing. Then, when you have that strong base to support you, figure out what to give up in order to have time to write. An hour less television. Staying in on a Friday night. Skipping a chore that can wait. Consistently writing for short periods of time is much better than never writing at all. You will fail if you’re always waiting for a big block of time to appear in your schedule. Writing happens when you focus during the time you have, not giving up all your time and then failing to focus.


9. What aspects of the Pacific Northwest, where your novels are set, do you find

most compelling as a backdrop for mystery novels? How does this region

influence your storytelling?


ANSWER: We are tough out here in the Pacific Northwest. We are surrounded by volcanos, towering mountains, and vast empty spaces. We respect individuality, tenacity, and nature. We are also known for serial killers, dense forests where Sasquatch hides, and wildland fires whose smoke turns bright daylight into dusk, so danger is real and unpredictable. I’m constantly reminded about the beauty, and harshness, of nature by moose wandering around in my yard, owls picking off rodents in the moonlight, and the sound of coyotes howling across the valley. I’m fascinated by isolation and grit, and I try to invest my work with those things, even when I’m writing on the lighter side of crime fiction. No matter what happens in life, at some point you have to dust yourself off and get back on the horse.


10. Looking ahead, what can readers expect from future installments of the Bet Rivers

Mysteries or any other projects you are working on? Are there new characters or

themes you are excited to explore?


ANSWER: Fingers crossed my publisher wants a third Bet Rivers book. I also have a few other projects in the works, from an amateur sleuth to a novel of suspense. I’ve enjoyed working on manuscripts that don’t involve professionals, it’s been fun to do something a little different. The best way to keep track of my work is to sign up for my newsletter and follow me on social media. I promise lots of cute photos of my animals and breathtaking scenery in between literary updates.



Catch Up With Elena Taylor:

www.ElenaTaylorAuthor.com
Elena's Blog: The Mystery of Writing
Goodreads
BookBub - @elenataylorauthor
Instagram - @elenataylorauthor
Twitter/X - @Elena_TaylorAut
Facebook - @ElenaTaylorAuthor





Book Details:
Genre: Police Procedural, Mystery
Published by: Severn House
Publication Date: August 6, 2024
Number of Pages: 256
ISBN: 9781448314065 (ISBN10: 1448314062)
Series: A Sheriff Bet Rivers Mystery, Book 2 | Each is a Stand-Alone Mystery
Book Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | BookShop.org | Goodreads | Severn House


Tour Participants:

07/29 Interview @ Literary Gold
07/29 Showcase @ Mystery, Thrillers, and Suspense
07/30 Review @ Because I said so -- and other adventures in Parenting
07/31 Review @ Novels Alive
07/31 Showcase @ Books, Ramblings, and Tea
08/01 Interview @ Novel Nerd Blog
08/01 Showcase @ Silvers Reviews
08/02 Guest post @ Why Not? Because I Said So Book Reviews
08/02 Review @ fundinmental
08/03 Review @ Reading is my Superpower
08/03 Review @ Why Not? Because I Said So Book Reviews
08/04 Review @ Book Reviews From an Avid Reader
08/05 Review @ martinkm_reads
08/06 Review @ ashmanda. k
08/07 Review @ Cassidys Bookshelves
08/08 Guest post @ Cozy Home Delight Book Reviews
08/08 Review @ Avonna Loves Genres
08/08 Review @ Guatemala Paula Loves to Read
08/09 Review @ dianas_books_cars_coffee
08/09 Review @ elaine_sapp65
08/10 Review @ FullyBookedInKentucky
08/11 Review @ Paws. Read. Repeat
08/12 Showcase @ Celticladys Reviews
08/13 Showcase @ Binge Reading Books
08/14 Review @ Wall-to-wall Books
08/15 Review @ fuonlyknew
08/16 Review @ Melissa As Blog
08/18 Review @ The AR Critique
08/20 Review @ Catreader18
08/23 Review @ Teatime and Books
 



Comments

  1. Wow, fabulous interview! I absolutely love this author! I am reading this book right now and it is fantastic so ar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting me on your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#Book Review #An Enemy Like Me #Teri M. Brown #Atmosphere Press Publishers #Historical Fiction

MY THOUGHTS AND REVIEW In this historical novel, Jacob Mueller was a first-generation American born in New Berlin to parents full of German Descent. His parents embraced their German heritage even after they moved to America. They found a better life in the United States of America. Jacob's father's family name was - Mattias Wendel Mueller in 1898. Jacob was born to Elisabet and Hyrum when New Berlin changed its name to North Canton after the First World War, during the time when Anti-German Sentiment was high. Later, Jacob changed his name to Jacob Miller when Hitler and the Nazi party began their cruel reign, he wanted to hide his heritage. He wanted no one to know his views about Nazis, Nazi Harboring or assuming he associated with Nazi sympathizers. There was more to living in the united states while Jacob's mother thought that was all it was needed to prove her allegiance. Whereas, Jacob understood that the American government could arrest or deport those not born in t

Book Review #25 to Life: The Jack Bertolino # John Lansing #Crime Thriller #Publisher White Street Press

                                    MY THOUGHTS AND BOOK REVIEW This novel which is set in West Los Angeles begins with Gloria Millhouse, a beautiful and intelligent law student who has been working on a project for innocent- for those who have been convicted and imprisoned for a wrong that they have not done. Gloria believed that Carl Forbes an African American boy who had been in prison for twenty-three years was innocent and it was her dream to set him free. Carl was arrested and tortured by the officers when he was seventeen years old and was coerced to confess the brutal murder of Shelley Goldstein.  The novel's plot changes as Gloria goes missing and is found dead in a car accident. After someone breaks into her car and steals her briefcase containing her notes and interviews the night she went missing. She was upset and devastated over the theft and was on her way to her father Keith's house in Malibu the night she died. The mayor and Gloria's father brought Jack Ber

BROADCAST BLUES #R.G. Belsky #Mystery & Crime # Oceanview Publishing #Clare Carlson Mystery Series, 6 #Book Review

  MY THOUGHTS AND BOOK REVIEW R.G. Belsky's "Broadcast Blues" thrusts readers into the relentless world of TV newswoman Clare Carlson, where the line between journalism and justice becomes blurred in the pursuit of a high-profile crime. Set against the backdrop of New York City's bustling crime scene, Belsky weaves a riveting tale that combines investigative journalism with a thirst for truth and justice. The narrative kicks off with a bang – quite literally – when an explosive takes the life of Wendy Kyle, a former NYPD officer with a tumultuous past. Clare Carlson, with her finger firmly on the pulse of the city's crime, sees the potential for a major scoop in the tragedy. However, it becomes clear that for Clare, this is not just about the sensational story; it's a personal quest for justice for the victim. Wendy Kyle's controversial history adds layers of complexity to the case. From her dismissal from the NYPD following sexual harassment allegations a